Tuesday, December 27, 2011

“Gentlemen,” said Mr. Lincoln, “I could not have slept tonight, if I had left those helpless little robins to perish in the wet grass.” ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Image of Curlew - http://lazybirder.blogspot.com/
Bush Stone-curlew
Burhinus grallarius
Status: ENDANGERED
Distribution: Australia wide
The Bush Stone-curlew, or Bush Thick-knee, is a ground-dwelling bird that grows to an average of 55cm. The appearance of this bird is unique in Australia. Its distinctive call is likened to a “WER-LOOOO”.

Below my house the National Parks have fenced off an area where one of these female birds has a nest scrape.  The dogs and cats of the neighborhood are responsible for killing off this species in particular. I have many photos of the birds I see in the area beneath the cliff  my house is on..  This is a nice present for all of us to know that the species is hanging in there and she has an egg.  I think I want to go and sleep down there!

This is the area this bird is nesting in below my house here in Urunga.

No comments: