Sunday, October 20, 2013

I saw my First Koala in the wild today!

I am over fifty and I did think it was about time.   Kathy was driving and I was looking out the window and I saw the Koala quite a way off away from the edge of the road.

IMG 4918 Koala
Nowendoc Koala
  
 I was so excited I could barely speak fast enough.  I think I yelled out I saw a Kangaroo, then I said STOP / Koala.  We stopped the car and started to walk back up the road and another car came along and they were a young couple with children and so after assuring them that we were not broken down instead we were hurrying back up the road to see this koala.

We were road tripping to Leards Forest to see Murray who is baby sitting the gates out there from mining and there is a Red Alert for the :Pilliga Forest so we are going here to find out what is the go with all of this from the man himself.  This just meant we were on the right track.   We both felt very good seeing this chap.

IMG 4920 At Nowendoc
Nowendoc is renowned for its Koala population.
The koala is an arboreal herbivorous marsupial native to Australia. It is the only extant representative of the family Phascolarctidae, and its closest living relatives are the wombats.


Scientific name: Phascolarctos cinereus
Lifespan: 13 – 18 y (In Wild)
Gestation period: 30 – 35 d

 Phascolarctos (from Ancient Greek phaskolos, referring to a pouch or bag, and arktos, meaning "bear") is a genus of marsupials containing only one extant species, the koala (P. cinereus). The genus was named by French zoologist Henri Marie Ducrotay de Blainville in 1816.
 
Images @ Eminpee Fotography

No comments: