Saturday, April 28, 2012

Story: What is the most holy?

Some years ago, a beloved grandmother asked me a deep and soul-searching question. “Grandson,” she asked me, “what are the most sacred, the most powerful, and the most holy of all ceremonies?”

With some pride, I began to recount some of the ceremonies that I had participated in over the years. After I was finished describing the Sun Dance, the Sweat Lodge, Vision Questing, and other ceremonies I had participated in, she said, “Grandson, those are all very sacred, powerful, and holy ceremonies, but the most sacred, the most powerful, the most holy of all ceremonies is the birth of a child.”

Then, she looked very, very deeply into my eyes and soul and said, “Then who are you?”

In this brief question this beloved grandmother strongly reminded me that each and every one of us is a Sacred Being!

Inherent in this understanding is the realisation that the very Holy and Intimate Ceremony of Creating Life, as well as, the Creative Power that ignites Human Life are Sacred and must be respected at all times! Otherwise this Sacred, Creative Power and Ceremony may be the source of great pain and suffering, for generations!

Chanupa Sapa, (Black Pipe) Ihanktowan Dakota-Chickasaw Nations


Image passed onto me by my cousin Vivienne O'Halloran
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: