Thursday, September 25, 2014

THE HUNT - BRIGGS feat Gurrumul .. It is what is and it is what it is son!

The first time I heard this track I was filled with goosebumpz all over my body.  To hear these two contrasting sounds together both being something I love and hold dear.  Language and Briggs rhyming.   I was touched to my very core.   There were many levels where I felt I was really inside of this he was spitting here in this track.   Homelessness, the fight still raging on.  I was happy to play this on my show last week and got a massive response from the listeners for playing it.  They loved it.

 

 THE HUNT LYRICS ..
No time to be nervous, I work like they don’t deserve it
These clowns get around like they’re missing a circus
Superb its amazing how they’re twisting the verbs and
The kids get excited and reach for the purse and
Spend their hard earned, start repeating your verses

Reaching for stars n not reaching the person
Jump in the deep end, just breaking the surface
Im not standing in line so they can not serve us
But you gotta be patient, are you willing to wait there?
When the timings right are you ready to take it?

I been honing my components, waiting for my moment
Now Im gonna own it, Just feed me my opponents
Ain't no one been a head of me, I’m spittin' kerosine
Their catalogue is junk mail, I’m leavin' legacies
And I give em every right to be mad at me
They can only take aim at the one they see


ANYTHING WORTH HAVING AINT NEVER COMING EASY
ITS THE HUNT THAT WE’RE ON THAT BRING ANOTHER MEAL

ANYTHING WORTH HAVING AINT NEVER COMING EASY
TO THE HUNT WE BELONG MAN THATS JUST HOW I FEEL

THE SYSTEM AINT BROKEN, ITS THE WAY THAT IT WORKS
IT IS WHAT IT IS SON, IT IS WHAT IT IS

ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING, A GIFT AND A CURSE
IT IS WHAT IT IS SON, IT IS WHAT IT IS

We survived a death roll, death toll's something special
Here lies the best, put that on my head stone
The epitaph fit, and the fact of that is
I got to cracking that whip and put a dent ya headphones
Homeless? wasn’t ready for home yet
I was building my name up, hedging my own bet
I was out on the road missing more than my own bed
Missing these pieces that were keepin my own head
Got caught up, sorta, swapped gin for water
Jordans for my daughter, brought up, borders
Crowd still applaud us, cause we give em four quarters
From standing in the corner with anxiety disorders
Glutton for punishment, I was heading back for seconds
So they hand me a sentence of antidepressants
And I'm citizen second in my land of descendants
But i’m independent like the pendant on my necklace

IMG  Glenugie Blockade
Listening to the song reminded me of police.   "THEY CAN ONLY TAKE AIM AT THE ONE THEY SEE"
 
Images @ Eminpee Fotography

No comments: