Monday, August 11, 2014

Archie Roach - what a beautiful story man and what a song he has to sing!

Ruby Hunter
Cover of Ruby Hunter
Reading about Archie Roach and his painful journeys brings tears to my eyes and leaves me feeling not so alone with the emotional pain that I carry inside of myself.

Archie is a beloved Aboriginal singer and songwriter and producer and he is most importantly - the voice of his people. 

Back in 2010 Archie suffered an emotional hit that none of us are really prepared for and he lost his partner Ruby Hunter who was a very young 54 when she passed.

This knocked Archie around severely and he was found in the Kimberly Region of Australia having suffered a stroke.  He is lucky to be alive.  I suppose he felt he had lost his reason to live when Ruby left.  Last year Archie was diagnosed with Lung Cancer in his left Lung.  I pray he beats this cancer and dies a natural death not a death from cancer.  He is letting go of the sad things of this life.


Now Archie is back with a new album and a new lease on life and a new story to tell.  His stories before were always of being stolen etc and now they are songs about winning and loving and seeing things through to the other side.

Archie Roach's new album is called "INTO THE BLOODSTREAM".  It is available
A note from Archie
While making this album I have learned to look at Pain differently. I know that Pain can make you sick, very sick!! My recent bouts of illness I’m sure, are a result of the Pain of being removed from my family at a young age and more recently the loss of someone I loved so dearly.

But Pain can also bring about change in one’s life for the better, we can choose to ignore the Pain until it becomes unbearable or we can do something. I used to think that letting go of the Pain was the only way of getting better but that may not be necessarily so. You see some events in my life I will never truly get over and the Pain will always be there but I can do something about it.

I can write songs, songs about making it to the Top of the Hill no matter how far, songs about not being alone so don’t cry, songs about all of us having a song to sing and songs we can dance to.

Even though we may be suffering with some sort of chronic Pain we can learn to live with and manage it with the right attitude to life and some good medicine.

Doing this album has been good medicine for me! I hope listening to it will be the same for you!

ARCHIE ROACH


Buy Album on iTunes
Buy Album on Amazon
Buy Album from ABC Shop

 

No comments: