Wednesday, July 18, 2018

CONVICT or FREE PASSAGE

Quite often I am drawn to spend time continuing my research on our extensive family history.  I recently came across this web page that allows you to search for free any ancestors who came upon the area known as the Hunter Valley.

Free Settler or Felon?
I have found this a very helpful tool indeed and I would like to share this with my readers.  It was so helpful  because I have found a mass of information that may relate to my Great Great Grandmother's (Louisa Sarah Stokes) second husbands family who was Mr Robert John Howe from Jerry's Plains and later of the Warwick Queensland area.

I've found a Howe Valley and a Howe Creek and an interesting article about a Mr John Howe which could be Robert John's father.  This was all very close to Jerrys Plains in the Hunter Valley and at the correct time which I am searching. 

Robert John Howe in Warwick spoke about when he was at Plymouth for a picnic for soldiers, because he was born in Australia - I now have to find if he traveled back to England with his father and is this how he was able to speak of this picnic when in his words "I was quite a little chap at the time"

Screenshot (278).


  The Free Settler or Felon database is an on-going project. There are over 180,000 references to people and places in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley.  
Search Free Settler or Felon to find your Hunter Valley Ancestor.





No comments: