- Elected to the Senate for Queensland 2004 (term began 1.7.2005) and 2010. Resigned 8.8.2013.
- Elected to the House of Representatives for New England, New South Wales, 2013.
- Minister for Agriculture from 18.9.13 to 21.9.15.
- Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources from 21.9.15.
- Senate Standing: Library from 16.8.05 to 7.12.05.
- Senate Legislative and General Purpose Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade: Legislation Committee from 16.8.05 to 13.9.05 and References Committee from 6.9.05 to 11.9.06; Legal and Constitutional: References Committee from 16.8.05 to 11.9.06; Economics from 11.9.06 to 14.5.09; Economics: Legislation and References Committees from 14.5.09 to 2.2.10.
- Senate Select: Fuel and Energy from 26.6.08 to 18.3.10.
- Joint Standing: National Capital and External Territories from 16.8.05 to 11.3.10.
- Joint Select: Parliamentary Budget Office from 23.11.10 to 23.3.11; Broadcasting Legislation from 14.3.13 to 24.6.13.
Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 8.12.09 to 18.9.13. Shadow Minister for Finance and Debt Reduction from 8.12.09 to 25.3.10; Shadow Minister for Regional Development, Infrastructure and Water from 25.3.10 to 14.9.10; Shadow Minister for Regional Development, Local Government and Water from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Leader of The Nationals in the Senate from 17.9.08 to 8.8.13.
- Federal Parliamentary Deputy Leader, The Nationals from 13.9.13 to 12.2.16.
- Federal Parliamentary Leader, The Nationals from 12.2.16.
- Chair, National Party Charleville Branch 1995.
- Vice-Chair, National Party Warrego Electorate Council 1995.
- Delegate, The Nationals' State Conference (Qld) from 1995.
- Delegate, The Nationals' Central Council from 2000.
- Member, The Nationals' State Management Committee 2002-05.
- Assistant Treasurer, The Nationals (Qld) 2002-05; Acting Treasurer 2004.
- Member, National Party Federal Council 2002.
- Chair, The Nationals' St George Branch 2003-05.
- Born 17.4.1967, Tamworth, NSW.
Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BFA (UNE), CPA, FCPA.
- Farm worker 1989-91.
- Accountant 1991-94.
- Rural banker 1994-98.
- Self-employed accountant 1998-2005.
- Royal Queensland Regiment 1995-2003.
- Description: rural.
Location: northern New South Wales highlands; it includes the centres of Armidale, Barraba, Bundarra, Deepwater, Glen Innes, Gunnedah, Guyra, Inverell, Manilla, Quirindi, Tamworth, Tenterfield, Uralla, Walcha, Werris Creek and parts of Delungra and Urbenville.
Area: 59 344 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 102 116 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: cattle, sheep, grain, forestry, dairying, oats, maize, fruit, vegetables, tin-mining, bricks, trout hatchery, tourism, concrete pipe works, leather goods, tannery, gemstones, tobacco, lucerne, honey, grain processing, rubber industry, plaster works and concrete. The electorate also includes the University of New England.
State electorates: New England includes parts of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorates of Lismore, Northern Tablelands, Tamworth and Upper Hunter.
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Foundation.