Friday, March 02, 2012

Faith is the bird that sings when the dawn is still dark. Rabindranath Tagore

The Pelicans...


The dawn today from the hill was blood red but really I should have taken the tripod and captured it as it was still fairly dark and the dawning light was a brilliant crimson blood red.

The sight was mind blowing but I muffed and all of those shots of the sky like that were a tad blurry so I saved you the pain of seeing this as it is a great pain for me to bugger it up like that. 

No more will I do this and I will be ever vigilante against this in the future.   Anyway to capture these two pelicans flying silently above me was a bonus as I stood on the board-walk at dawn.  I could see them coming in the dim light towards me so I focused on them and stood motionless hoping they would not deviate their flight path.  They flew right above me and I was so tempted to yell out hello.  I didn't though and let them pass unabated.

On the pelican:

The Pelican is one of the heaviest birds capable of flight. It is strangely proportioned with very short legs for the size of its body. Adults can weigh as much as 10 to 17 pounds (4.5-7.7 kg). Because of their large bodies and short legs, these birds are far better swimmers than walkers. They have a wing span of 9 feet (2.8 m).
 

Image By Mezza - Pelicans over Urunga
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: