Tuesday, September 06, 2011

BLACKOUT - HAMAR

BLACK is mentioned in Gerald Manley Hopkins poem "I Wake"

I WAKE and feel the fell of dark, not day.
What hours, O what black hours we have spent



This night! what sights you, heart, saw; ways you went!
And more must, in yet longer light’s delay.
With witness I speak this.
But where I say 5 Hours I mean years mean life.
And my lament
Is cries countless cries
like dead letters sent
To dearest him that lives alas! away.

I am gall, I am heartburn.
God’s most deep decree
Bitter would have me taste: my taste was me;
10 Bones built in me, flesh filled, blood brimmed the curse.
Self yeast of spirit a dull dough sours I see
The lost are like this, and their scourge to be
As I am mine, their sweating selves; but worse.

Hopkins uses the absence of light to communicate his grief and uncertainty throughout the poem and uses light to symbolize hope. 

I chose this poem to symbolize black as Gerald Manley Hopkins is one of my favorite poets of his time.  b.July 28, 1844 died June 8, 1889, He writes about the demons that happen in the darkness and how things seem worse in the dark hours and with the light a new hope is once more re kindled. Sometimes it is the dawn and the sight of the sun that has saved me from my own despair of being awake in those dark hours sleeping five hours maximum most evenings. As Hopkins was laying dying, his last words were. "I am happy, oh so happy"

HAMAR - BASQUE word for the numeral 10

That was the last of the posts on "Black" in this series of posts!  Red is fast approaching!

Image by Mezza - Mono in Mono  ( Montana Monochromatic)

No comments: