Saturday, April 06, 2013

Speaking on Coal Seam Gas ....

Interview questions

IMG 9824 AGL's Fracking Farm

1 What do you think about Australia’s coal seam gas industry?

In short I think the Coal Seam Gas Industry in Australia is the new James Hardie of this Century.  I am very aware of the processes employed to frack and I cannot see how anyone with any sense could not see what I see.  I see degradation of land and water in very diverse habitats of with significance.  I am therefore left no other reasonable conclusion in my mind that the entire process is flawed.

2 Do you believe that activists have a chance to stop coal seam gas mining in Australia and if so how? If not, Why not?

I firmly believe that Non Violent Direct Action is absolutely instrumental in curbing this industry and drawing it to a halt.  There are no other alternatives when you know the parliamentary process is flawed with corruption and collusion at high levels.  This is so plain to see.  The connections in this industry leave me no other summation.  Blockading a mine site is absolutely instrumental in stopping a well going ahead.  There has to be a stand off in the end.  This draws media attention to the area to highlight the plight of what people are trying to protect.  Often ordinary people don't have the information.  Action such as blockading and Non Violent Direct Action gives reason to draw notice to the situation through the media.  This maybe all that is required for people to go out and start asking their own questions and researching this for them selves.

3 Would you be prepared to attend a blockade against Coal Seam Gas if it was proposed in a neighboring town? How long would you offer to stay at the blockade? Would you be prepared to get arrested?
Blockading : Yes most definitely.  I have blockaded and at that last occasion I returned three times to Glenugie and continued to stay for a month and stay over Christmas because I was aware that mining companies do not recognize Christmas, every day being a work day.  With this in mind I was not prepared to leave the blockade site.  What precludes me from staying longer are Commitments to my Radio Show.  During the last summer I organized someone to take this over for me so that I could blockade.  I did not see my  kids at Christmas time and I did not have that family celebration.  I felt that all familiy celebrations would be a waste of time in the future if there was no clean water left on the planet and therefore I should stay put where I was, which I did.
I am prepared to get arrested,  I will choose at which site that I actually go through with this.  For me its about staying in a reasonable light with the law until the mining comes into my very back yard. These other sites have been two or more hours from home.  I will have more support if I am arrested closer to home.  It will occur it is just a matter of when.

IMG  GLENUGIE BLOCKADE

4 What would you do if a coal seam gas company wanted to set up a mine on your land?
Firstly, I would not sign anything and I would not even meet with the company.  If I was not as aware as I am about this industry I can see just how farmers and land holders are perfectly swindled as I have listened to many cases of this happening,  Therefore one would draw a conclusion that there is a certain amount of either bullying or lying occuring to induce unsuspecting farmers to sign.  I am not unsuspecting so I would not sign.  I would then initiate a blockade.  We would dig in for the long haul and be prepared to fight for what is right for the land and for our livlihoods and the health of our children and grand children.  If it was my very own land,  I personally feel they would have no chance as it would be over my dead body.

5 What do you suggest people who are against coal seam gas mining do to prevent this industry in Australia?
BLOCKADE.  If something is already legislation all the letters and talk fests in the world waste time and money.  Blockading the company from entering the property is powerful and effective.  It is effective because so much time and money is wasted for these rogue companies and therefore it hurts them in the only place they understand.  The bottom line.  We fortunately see this land as much more than just a line of Dollar Signs $$$  I am personally committed because what I  see occurring is a clear case of acting in a criminal manner and endangering peoples lives that will have carry over effects for years to come.
I am about seeing this industry being banned from the entire Planet.  Far too many countries indigenous peoples are being taken advantage of across the world and we have to help them stand up for their rights also.   If it doesn't grow back next year or the year after we have no rights as persons to take any more than our selves or our families needs require.  Greed motivates this.  Most people have clearly lost sight of the real purpose to living.

IMG  GLENUGIE BLOCKADE

The above five questions were supplied by Sue Phoenix who is studying Media Studies.  They were great questions and therefore decided to blog my answers to these questions for posterity more so.

Also it is great to look back and see how you felt around certain issues when time has past.

Images @ Melonpopzdropz Flickr
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: