Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Great reasons why you should Save Seeds.

Saving Lettuce seeds are easy because they are contained in a tiny capsule below the flower when the flower dries out.

IMG 4779.1 The Bees in my Garden
Lettuce Seeds in the making.
The most important seed saving rule is to save seeds from the best plants and to eat the rest.

"It's important to only save seed from non-hybrid plants and these are commonly referred to as heritage, old-fashioned or open pollinated plants. They are the plants most likely to produce offspring - in the form of seed - that closely resemble their parents."  Jerry Coleby-Williams

Once upon a time the Seed Tin was one of the most valuable things in the house or shed.  This held the food for the next year.

IMG 4776 The Lettuce Flowers 

 Saving Seed can become addictive especially in this day and age where cheap food has done away with the need to collect seeds for food.   I find this abhorrent.  I think it is another severed connection with the planet and her vibrations. 

Gardening and especially for food and medicine is what seems to come naturally to me.  I love to attempt to be self sufficient in raising my own plants from my own seed I have saved.  I truly believe you do save some money from doing this, especially if you plant those boutique plants.  Therefore,  when I hear stories of Monsanto trying to outlaw seed saving, my blood boils and then I realize getting stressed is giving them the power. 

A couple of years ago I wrote a blog about making your bag of onions last forever.  CLICK HERE to go to this and read how to make your onions last forever.

Calmly we will take back the natural food of the world.  There is absolutely no need for people to be hungry in the world anywhere.  This world has been run for the profit of a small few at the burden of the people of the world.  Some benefit just enough to keep them unaware of what is going on.  Proof of this in Western society with the numbness that is apparent.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: